Keeper & Manufacturer of Papal Armory
In the first years of the 19° century Gaetano Mazzocchi had the privilege to be entrusted by the Papal General Treasurer to be the keeper of the Papal Armory and to have the exclusivity of the arms manufacturing for the military service.
During the Napoleon Bonaparte invasion, this charge was suspended and was renewed after the restoration of the Papal power to Gaetano’s sons (Giovanni, Giuseppe, Pietro and Luigi born after his marriage with Rosa, daughter of Paolo Diamanti, a very skilled armour worker and metals chiseller). So to Mazzocchi sons was confirmed the double entrustment got by their father.
Initially, up to 1850′, their workshop was located in Castel Sant’Angelo. Then they left the premises for the French Military Expedition.
F.lli Mazzocchi made the Papal industrial military organization famous. Under their direction the Papal Armoury had 62 regular craftsmen and 23 temporary workers.
Their workshops manufactured the first rifled artilleries for the Papal Army. From the 1860s to Sept. 20, 1870 (date of the Papal State falling) F.lli Mazzocchi had been able to manufacture the French rifles pattern 1867 “à tabatière” and the Remington rifles.