The doctrine of the Immaculate Conception was formally proclaimed on December 8, 1854, by Pope Pius IX. This holy card is a remembrance of the proclamation at the 25th anniversary in 1879 not long after Pius IX’s death.
The front of the card depicts the Pope kneeling in prayer, and including a small prayer offered for the Holy Father. A second class relic, a small piece of his clothing, is near the bottom of the card.
The reverse side of the card gives details about the anniversary and suggests an offering of 50 cents towards flowers to be purchased for the anniversary celebration. These cards were probably distributed to those who contributed to the purchase of the flowers.